Member State to which the notification was sent
Date of acknowledgement from the Member State Competent Authority
Title of the Project
The photosynthetic genome
Proposed period of release:
01/06/2004 to 31/12/2008
Name of the Institute(s) or Company(ies)
Department of Plant Physiology, ;
3. Is the same GMPt release planned elsewhere in the Community?
Has the same GMPt been notified elsewhere by the same notifier?
Genetically modified plant
Complete name of the recipient or parental plant(s)
populus tremula x populus tremuloides
2. Description of the traits and characteristics which have been introduced or modified, including marker genes and previous modifications:
Lack of the photosynthetic protein PsbS, plus antibiotic resistance gene for selection.
3. Type of genetic modification:
In case of insertion of genetic material, give the source and intended function of each constituent fragment of the region to be inserted:
RNAi construct to eliminate expression os PsbS. Spectinomycin resistance to select for transformants.
6. Brief description of the method used for the genetic modification:
7. If the recipient or parental plant is a forest tree species, describe ways and extent of dissemination and specific factors affecting dissemination:
Aspen is readily disseminated, but this particuar genotype does not survive the winter in Umeå, and has so far never flowered although used for many years in research.
1. Purpose of the release:
To study the function of PsbS. Arabidopsis lacking PsbS has a reduced fitness.
2. Geographical location of the site:
The garden outside the University greenhouse.
3. Size of the site (m2):
Environmental Impact and Risk Management
Summary of the potential environmental impact from the release of the GMPts:
Probably a strong selective disadvantage, like in Arabidopsis.
Brief description of any measures taken for the management of risks:
Daily care, plant material in pots.
European Commission administrative information
Consent given by the Member State Competent Authority: