General informationNotification NumberB/ES/10/49Member State to which the notification was sentSpainDate of acknowledgement from the Member State Competent Authority13/04/2010Title of the ProjectAgreement between the Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria (INIA), the Ministry of Environment and the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food: Field Trial with Genetically Modified CottonProposed period of release:01/05/2010 to 31/12/2010Name of the Institute(s) or Company(ies)Instituto Nacional de Investigación y Tecnología Agraria y Alimentaria (INIA), Department of Plant Protection;
3. Is the same GMPt release planned elsewhere in the Community?Yes: Spain; Has the same GMPt been notified elsewhere by the same notifier?YesIf yes, notification number(s): B/ES/10/48; Genetically modified plantComplete name of the recipient or parental plant(s)
2. Description of the traits and characteristics which have been introduced or modified, including marker genes and previous modifications:Glyphosate tolerance.Genetic modification3. Type of genetic modification:Insertion; In case of insertion of genetic material, give the source and intended function of each constituent fragment of the region to be inserted:2mepsps: Coding sequence of 2mepsps from maize that confers the herbicide
|Common Name||Family Name||Genus||Species||Subspecies||Cultivar/breeding line|
(http://www.mma.es/secciones/participacion_publica/calidad_contaminacion/pdf/B_ES_10_23_SNIF.pdf)6. Brief description of the method used for the genetic modification:The transgenic cotton lines are generated using disarmed Agrobacterium
tumefaciens mediated transformation.
(http://www.mma.es/secciones/participacion_publica/calidad_contaminacion/pdf/B_ES_10_23_SNIF.pdf)7. If the recipient or parental plant is a forest tree species, describe ways and extent of dissemination and specific factors affecting dissemination:Not relevant.Experimental Release1. Purpose of the release:Evaluation of potential risk of gene flow between the genetically modified glyphosate tolerant cotton and the conventional cotton in the agroclimatic conditions of the Spanish cotton area.2. Geographical location of the site:Andalucía
Province of Sevilla
Municipality Lebrija3. Size of the site (m2):1.600 m24. Relevant data regarding previous releases carried out with the same GM-plant, if any, specifically related to the potential environmental and human health impacts from the release:The cotton breeding line used in the trial has been provided by the producer who has the information about previous releases carried out with the same GM-plant.Environmental Impact and Risk ManagementSummary of the potential environmental impact from the release of the GMPts:The risk of environmental impact of this assay is extremely low because of the small area of GM cotton planted, the precaution measures taken, and the absence of cotton relatives in the area.Brief description of any measures taken for the management of risks:- The trials will be conducted with an isolation distance from any other cotton
superior to 200 m.
- The field will be visited on a regular basis during the cropping period.
- The samples taken from the field trials will be used for hybrid detection tests in growth-chamber and greenhouse and destroyed after.
- The crop will be destroyed and buried in the field.
- The field will be supervised and controlled the following year to check the absence of volunteers. The field will be shown with a crop different from cotton.
The plant material will be transported under the supervision of researchers
conducting the assay in double packing (boxes and bags), properly labeled.Summary of foreseen field trial studies focused to gain new data on environmental and human health impact from the release:Not relevant bisides the B/ES/10/48.Final report-European Commission administrative informationConsent given by the Member State Competent Authority:Yes09/06/2010 00:00:00Remarks: